Friday, March 20, 2009

Privilege

On aspect of my identity that I believe I am privileged is that fact that I am able-bodied. Being able to have a healthy and strong body allows me to participate in activities that I would not be able to if my body was not strong. When I was young I had the ability to participate in sports such as basketball, softball, soccer, lacrosse, and field hockey. Being able to play all of these sports allowed me to go through high school playing field hockey and lacrosse. It also gave me the advantage to play at a division one school.
I am able to have this privilege as part of my identity because I was not diagnosed with any disabilities that some people are. It is also a privilege because people need to be shape or have that tone, healthy body in order to survive in the real world. It is easy for me to get to and from my classes by walking but it may be hard for someone with disabilities to do the same. Having a healthy body also gives me an advantage in obtaining jobs. Though my only jobs have been coaching field hockey camps here at JMU and back home in New Jersey, if I was not able-bodied I would not have been hired to work at these camps. Keeping up with my able-bodied also allows me to maintain a relationship. I am not saying that you have to be perfect to have an attraction for someone, but it gives you an advantage. If I was in an unhealthy state or disabled I would be at a disadvantage to attract a man and I would have low self-esteem about myself. Ultimately, being able-bodied gives me advantages that wouldn’t come if I was disabled.

No comments:

Post a Comment